I'm the author of the comics New Construction, It Never Happened Again, Lydian and Haunter. For the last few years I've worked as a writer and storyboarder on Adventure Time and Summer Camp Island.
I've also done illustrations for The New York Times, Slate, Urban Outfitters, and Cicada Magazine; and I've taught and lectured at Parsons School of Design, Rutgers University, Minneapolis College of Art and Design, The Animation Workshop, and the Center for Cartoon Studies. I'm currently available for work and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
2012 Graduated Whitman College with a BA in Studio Arts, focused on Printmaking
2012 Fellow, Sitka Fellowship Program of the Island Institute
2014 Resident at the Entreviñetas Comics Residency in Medellín, Colombia
2013 Ignatz Award for Promising New Talent
2013 Ignatz Award for Outstanding Comic for Hawaii 1997 (nominated)
2013 Ignatz Award for Best Webcomic for Haunter (nominated)
2014 Ignatz Award for Outstanding Comic for Wicked Chicken Queen
2014 Peabody Award for work on Cartoon Network’s Adventure Time
SELECTED PUBLISHED WORKS
2013 Haunter, Study Group Comics
2014 It Never Happened Again, Uncivilized Books
2015 New Construction, Uncivilized Books
May 2014- December 2016:
Wrote and storyboarded for Cartoon Network’s Adventure Time.
• Worked from loose outlines to create fully-formed 11 minute episodes.
• Wrote and paced all dialogue and jokes, boarded and framed each shot.
• Designed new settings and characters as needed, drew and animated to model specifications.
• Boarded in Storyboard Pro and traditionally as needed.
• Collaborated with directors and multiple board partners to keep plot, tone, and design consistent throughout episodes.
• Pitched boards through multiple passes and revisions to entire crew.
January 2017-December 2017
Wrote, storyboarded and designed for Cartoon Networks Summer Camp Island.
• Storyboarded with the same level of creative responsibility as Adventure Time.
• Pitched and wrote outlines as a member of the writers room, from concept to finished script. • Designed finished background art.
January 2017 - Present
Art directing, animating and designing on Love Eternal, a horror platform video game releasing in 2020.
•Extensive background and character design
•Character and effect animation
SELECTED ILLUSTRATION CLIENTS
The New York Times, Urban Outfitters, Slate Magazine, Cicada Magazine, Cartoon Network, CAPSULE
SELECTED TEACHING AND SPEAKING EXPERIENCE
April 8, 2014 - Guest lecture at Parsons / The New School, New York
May 1, 2014 - Guest lecture at The Center for Cartoon Studies, White River, Vermont
May 30, 2014 - Guest lecture at DePaul University School of Cinema and Interactive Media, Chicago
October 10 2014 - Guest lecture and class visit at Minneapolis College of Art and Design, Minneapolis
October 2, 2015 - Guest lecture and class visit at Parsons / The New School, New York
May 30th - June 3rd, 2016
Weeklong comics workshop with The Animation Workshop, Viborg, Denmark.
• Guided undergraduate class through planning stages for their graphic storytelling thesis projects.
• Worked intensively one-on-one with students to develop their premises, decide on art style, and plan for their deadlines.
• Mentored three students directly for remainder of semester.
September 22 - October 6, 2017
Two week storyboarding workshop with The Animation Workshop, Viborg, Denmark.
• Introduced undergraduate students to fundamentals of storyboarding for 2D animation
• Covered framing, dialogue, character modeling, acting, pacing, and time management
• Worked one-on-one with students to create their graduation project, a final finished storyboard.
April 23 2018 - Guest lecture and class visit, Rutgers University
May-July 2018 - Two week comics workshop for high school students with the Lucas Museum
• Worked with other instructors and museum representatives to plan a curriculum for a two- week comics course to serve high school students in the Compton/South Central neighborhoods of Los Angeles.
• Taught a broad overview of the comics art form; students graduated the course with finished 8-page comic books of their own. Covered the basics of storytelling, character design, and working in a variety of medias including colored pencil, pen and ink, watercolor, and screentone.
November 5 - 16, 2018 - Two week storyboarding workshop with The Animation Workshop, Viborg, Denmark.